Following the path of minimalism and my 2018 project pan, it’s time for me to get rid of the make-up that is too old, never use or doesn’t work for me. I’ve come to enjoy a good decluttering. Makeup is expensive so that can make it difficult to part myself with it. A small cleaning out of my collection is more my style and has works for me. This method has kept my collection from growing out of control.
When it comes to choosing to declutter the item or not, I will ask myself certain questions.
- Would I buy this today? If I wouldn’t purchase the product today then most likely I won’t be reaching for it in the near future.
- Is this expired? Sometimes I don’t remember the exact date when I purchased an item but I can give a good guess. So if the product has passed the expiration date then I get rid of it. I really like to stick to this rule regardless of the product.
- When was the last time that this has been used? If I haven’t picked it up in 6 months then it has to go.
- Do I need this? There are so many products in my collection that I never use and will never use. I would buy them hoping to use them one day but it won’t happen so why hold on to them?
- Do I have duplicates? Having the same shade in different finishes can seem great but far too often most of those shades will go unused. It’s best to stick to the one that will get the most use out of it.
- Is this a seasonal product? If it a shade that I will only wear in a particular season, if it is going to be expired before that time then it has to go.
- Does it fit my current style? There is no need to keep shades that I would not wear today. Yes my style might change again but I can always repurchase a shade of lipstick.
After going through these questions, I’ve narrowed down what I will be decluttering from my collection. A lot of these products will be re-homed with friends and family. Most of these are the wrong shades or tones to what I like or they break me out. Here is my selection:
Most of these products are only lightly used so they are in perfect condition to be re-homed.
Although I love the formula of the Artdeco lipstick, it is so creamy and long-lasting. The color that I chose really washes me out and is not flattering. I would repurchase the Artdeco lipstick, even though they are on the pricey side.
I tried getting into Max Factor lipsticks but they just don’t work for me. The colors are always a bit off and the formula in’t good.
All the other lip products in this declutter are just not my tone. They either wash me out, seep into the liplines or are too light for my skintone.
I’ve been holding onto this Chanel blush for almost 5 years now. I think I’ve used it max 3 times but just to test out. The pigmentation is just not there and its a struggle to pick anything up on the brush. It’s almost like it is pressed too tightly. The shade is beautiful in the pan but I just can’t get it out.
I purchased this palette for 1 shade. The shade doesn’t show up well in this picture but it’s this amazing matte brown with green shimmer. The thing is, I already have an identical shade from Essence. The Essence version is a cream eyeshadow so I find that it looks so much better, so subtle, glowy and wet looking.
I’m not a cool tone wearer, so the whole thing is just not for me. Also, the first 2 rows don’t even show up on my skin. They look so chalky and dry, I wouldn’t even give the warm tone version a try.
Have you tried any of these products? Do they work for you? Comment and let me know!